Dyeing Wool With Food Coloring or Kool Aide

>> Friday, January 21, 2011


I was going through my craft patterns last night and found my notes on how to dye wool with food coloring or Kool Aide. I sure am getting the itch to try my hand at it once again this winter.

On January 10th, 2010 I posted on my old blog of my experience dyeing wool with food coloring and had to share it with you all. I have have been enjoying my hand dyed wool Calorimetry headband this fall and winter. ( pattern HERE)

(January 2010)

I have been wanting to dye my own wool for years but never have had the courage to. But I keep hearing about those ( my older brother included) who have dyed animal fibers with Kool Aide. It is a safe and wonderful non fussy way to do it in your own kitchen. You even can use your crockpot ! My crockpot has become one of my most favorite tightwad tools.

.

My brother gave me some white sheeps wool last year. I have been holding onto it for awhile and decided to take the plunge and dye it. But as I was researching how to dye it I found out you can also dye it with food colouring ! This neat must see homestead video that shows how to dye wool with Kool Aide. Off there they gave a link in in their more info a very well written out instructions too and a neat link to food colour dyeing your wool.

.

Here I am winding my wool into a hank of yarn.

.

I tied my hank in several places to hold it together while I dye it. ( suggestion here: tie very loose or it will give a tie dye ring…not reccomended unless you want that look.)

.

Here I am soaking my wool in a vinegar and water bath over night to help it to absorb the dye better.

.

Here is my yarn in the crockpot after I have poured my food coloring mix into it. Please watch video and read the instructions on the side. It explains it very well. There is one other site that I recommend to read too. Go HERE.

.

This is what the water looks like after it has exausted all the colour from the water. It is so fun to keep peeking in and seeing it disapear. This is a GREAT science experiment with learning color therory. I had a ton of fun mixing my own colours with the food colouring.

.

TA DA ! Here is my first tries !

((((HAPPY DANCE)))

.

And my second tries !!

.

I thought I would show what my knitting basket looks like right now. The top right corner shows the two balls of yarn that I dyed the second time round. Doesn’t this make you want to try it ?!?


Plans4You

( To join in on the fun or check out other Friday Farm Girls @Heart posts click on the graphic and go visit my friend Lori)


14 comments:

Jennifer Hoots January 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

Very pretty! I am afraid that with my two left thumbs, I would not be able to do much with it if I did give it a try!

Illinois Lori January 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM  

I remember these...so they were done with food color, NOT Kool Aid, right? So pretty! What did you knit with the green wool? Or is it still in your stash?

Love you!
Lori

Illinois Lori January 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

Oh wait...I think I answered my own Q...you knitted the hat in the opening photo, right?

Pretty colors, love it!
Lori

Anonymous January 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM  

I have friends that do this with the wool from their sheep. It is a fascinating process and one that I enjoy watching...but since I don't spin, I just sit by and bask in their productiveness :-)

Then, I am the recipient of all of their work by receiving their wonderful spun yarn to knit or crochet with :)

Thank you for sharing...and for stopping by the cottage. I especially like your encouragement about setting boundaries. I do the same. Only an hour a day - so far it has been working :)

Praising Our Lord with you in this wonderful day...

M.

Anonymous January 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM  

Very nice. :)

JoAnn

heritagemom January 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

I still say you are amazing. (I'm trying html code to bold that word, since I'm so impressed!)

The wool is beautiful. Someday maybe, I'll learn. At least I can take pictures of it!! lol

Love,
Christine

Unknown January 21, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

That is so cool! Your headband worked up very pretty. Love those colors.

Blessings!
Sharity

Marla January 23, 2011 at 5:57 AM  

Those turned out beautifully!

Chasity January 24, 2011 at 6:14 AM  

That is just beautiful!! I love the richness of the colors. Very pretty colors. You always make me want to go craft.....now, haha.
Be blessed,
Chasity

PlainJane January 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

Very, VERY pretty. I love the variations in the dye. Every time I go to a wool fair (not often any more)and see the beautifully dyed wool, I want to try it too, but alas, without my goatie girls, that probably won't ever happen, but I'll live vicariously through you my dear. Great job!

Shani January 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM  

I LOVE your hat, Mary, and love seeing what you did with your dyed wool. So pretty!!!!

So, I'm kind of getting tired of dishcloths and looking forward to making something else. I think I may make a striped scarf for oldest ds, but I really want to know how difficult it is to make hats. I feel like I have crafter's ADD, lttn - do I knit today, or crochet, or both?

Hope you're having a wonderfully productive knitty winter!!!
love,
Shani

Cathy January 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

How lovely. I'd love to learn to do that one day. Your yarn is BEAUTIFUL.

Cathy
basketflat.blogspot.com

Michelle January 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

how fun!! I've always wanted to do this!! I like to knit, but haven't picked it up too much yet....too busy with college right now. Maybe after graduation!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} January 31, 2011 at 6:38 PM  

Oh Mary your yarn turned out wonderful!! I've been wanting to try this myself to but have been to scared to try :) Did you get your undyed yarn here in BC somewhere? I actually have no idea where I would find any without paying lots at a yarn shop. I've so enjoyed stopping by tonight and catching up on your blog :)
Hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP