My Favorite Whole Wheat Bread Recipe and Dough Enhancers

>> Friday, February 11, 2011


Update:

I will share next week how to make some simple breads using flour bought from the store. They DO act differently than home ground flour.




Using Dough Enhancers When Making
"
Home Ground" Whole Wheat Bread


Sense last summer I have been figuring out how to make yummy things from grinding my own wheat in our grain grinder. I haven’t been fully happy with my bread till last summer. The change ? It was using dough enhancers. I haven’t bought any pre-made ones because it had things that my 2ds is allergic to. So of course I have been researching on the net. And I found some answers. ((happy dance))

Here is a link to a neat video Dough Enhancer for making Homemade Bread


*******Here is the bread recipe that I used and loved ! It is at BreadExperience .com **********


Tips for using your own everyday items as dough enhancers in WHEAT BREAD: (It’s best to use ALL THREE of these enhancers when making whole wheat bread)

Gluten: use 1/2 T. – 1 T. per cup of flour (this means before you measure a cup of flour place the 1/2 T.-1 T. gluten in the bottom of your cup and then measure flour as usual)

Apple Cider (or white) Vinegar: use the same amount of vinegar that you are using for yeast (i.e. 1 t. yeast – 1 t. vinegar)
I have to say that prefer to use Apple Cider vinegar because it is healthier and more natural but white vinegar works just fine.

Potato Flakes or Potato Startch: use 1/8 to 1/4 C. per loaf of bread you are making, experiment to see what works best in your recipe. (do not substitute in potato pearls, they don’t dissolve as easily and are artificially flavored which you will be able to taste in your bread)

If you are making bread and want to give a extra umph try it and here is some must sees in how to make really good bread videos. I learned soooooooo much from this gal and I have been making bread for 30 years.

***Lately I haven't been using Potato Starch and it does pretty okay. It you make some bread from this recipe I hope you share that you did. I would love to hear how it worked.




Here is a series of videos that REALLY helped me in this learning curve.

1/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread



2/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




3/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




4/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




5/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




6/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




7/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread




8/8 Making Fresh Ground Whole Wheat Bread


Participating in ....








Plans4You


11 comments:

Illinois Lori February 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM  

Yum, Mary! Thank you so much for joining in and posting all the great links...the dough enhancers are really important with fresh ground wheat bread :-D

You are right on with needing to just try different things over time. Bread changes from week to week, too, I think. The same recipe can turn out differently! I think it has a lot to do with the atmosphere (humidity, pressure, etc) and also I've read the yeasts (or lack of them) floating around in the air in our homes make a difference. So much about our world that we cannot see ;-)

Thanks again for sharing!
Blessings and {{{HUGS}}},
Lori

Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM  

Yes my dear friend...unfortunately, you do need a dough enhancer when you are making freshly ground wheat. I use 2 cups of whole wheat stone ground flour and add it to my freshly ground one.

It has worked beautifully so far...

Thank you for sharing dear friend.

Maria.

heritagemom February 11, 2011 at 2:39 PM  

Mary, thank you for the tips! I usually use a little vitamin C crystals, and a little lemon juice, along with vital wheat gluten, in my bread recipe. Still, there's something that may help improve it as sometimes it can dry out over time. But oh, fresh from the oven--and sooo hard to cut!--with butter spread on it so it's melting...yumminess!

And I wanted to say--don't worry about "catching up" with my blogs or any other blogs. We have our ways of dealing with stress, and emotion, and we need to focus on the Lord. I know where to find you, and you know where to find me! Priorities, priorities...

Blessings,
Christine

Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

Mary,

This sounds a little complicated. I have not attempted to make a bread loaf yet, wheat or otherwise. I have just figured-out how to make a good pizza dough. I am not sure that I am ready for a whole bread loaf. I should try it, but I am afraid of making something quite nasty.

I'll try to log onto the computer tomorrow so I can see your pictures of your bread. I don't why, because I'll probably just drool all over the computer because they will look so yummy. Tee hee. :)

-Lady Rose

Unknown February 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM  

Bread is my weakness! I've been wanting to try to bake bread for a while now. It's on my list. I used to have a bread machine and loved using it, but it quit on me. I've been meaning to try a loaf wihtout a machine, but haven't been brave enough. Maybe I'll use your tips and try soon!

Sharity

Melissa February 11, 2011 at 9:31 PM  

I am going to try your bread recipe next week. I am out of wheat berries but my next shipment arrives on Tuesday so your post is perfectly timed for me.

Kidcraze February 12, 2011 at 7:11 AM  

Yummy!
I have begun to bake bread again, too. And started using a dough enhancer. I mix some vital wheat gluten, lecithin and a bit of ginger powder to make my enhancer. I'm guessing you couldn't use the lecithin.
It is amazing what a diff. it makes in the bread.

How is Essie doing now? All better I hope.

Have a fabulous weekend,
Tracy

Kidcraze February 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM  

Miss Mary,
For 3 loaves, I use 1/2 tsp lecithin, 3 Tbsp vital wheat gluten, a pinch of citric acid and a dash of ginger.
I usually double it and make six loaves, though, and freeze some for later in the week.

morningstar February 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

I am passing your tips on to my friend who grinds her own wheat. I am not there yet! But tucking this away just in case!

Katia February 13, 2011 at 6:46 AM  

Hi there Mary,
the bread looks scrumptiously delicious. I love homemade bread, I have used the potatoes flakes the most, I never used the vinegar but I am sure it would be very good.
((hugs))
katia

Anonymous February 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

Yum! I can almost smell it through the computer screen.

Continuing to pray for your daughter in love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

About This Blog

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP